Medical Education in Surabaya-Indonesia was started on July 1st, 1913, as a second medical education after STOVIA Jakarta. This medical education was named as Nederlandsch Indische Artsenschool (NIAS), managed by Dutch government.
Since July 2nd, 1923, NIAS moved to the new campus at Prof. Moestopo Street 47 (previously it was called Dharmahusada Street). Before Indonesian Independency it was changed to IKA-DAIGAKU, then Fakultiet Kedokteran Surabaya, then since November 10th, 1954, it was established as Faculty of Medicine Universitas Airlangga, as belong to Universitas Airlangga (Airlangga University). In the first establishment, Universitas Airlangga consisted of five faculties; Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Literature and Facullty of Teaching and Education.